Friday 7 September 2012

Whitefish, Montana and surrounds

It's official - I think I may have been a past Montanian in a previous life. I feel so at home here. What a beautiful state. 3rd biggest state by area and population about 1 million - perfect! Golden fields, big mountains and wonderful people.

After leaving Glacier National Park we headed into Whitefish and ended staying 3 days. A small town but big in character. A classy Western feel with great shopping (I want to be a cowgirl! I NEED those cowboy boots!) and restaurants and then to top it off a beautiful lake and a big ski resort (Big Mountain) up the road. We will be back! Spent time strolling the village, golfing, eating (best meal of the trip so far at the Whitefish Lake restaurant) and I found a gym which had a pool, sauna and great classes. Didn't take too many snaps because I was enjoying myself so much but here are a few.

Am obsessed with antlers - picked some up as a memento.
They stuff em' big up here
For the ladies - ohhh the shopping!
Do you think this would go in a beach apartment - just agree with me...
Whitefish village - notice ski runs in background
Drinking holes galore
Beautiful houses were easy to find here
 

After reluctantly leaving Whitefish we headed south down to Flathead Lake - the biggest fresh water lake west of Mississippi. Crystal clear and the perfect spot for a relaxing lunch.

 

From here we went through some beautiful farming country and ended up at Salmon Lake at this amazing spot. Park official came around and warned us about the cougars which have been frequenting our camp spot. Great. What is it with these American beasts!!

Here cougar cougar
 

Next day was up and at 'em heading to Bozeman. Can't say we had an exciting day here because Grant was insistent on cleaning Sheila from the inside out, changing oil and filters and pressurising tires. I know, I know necessary... But we did have our first Mexican Restuarant experience which was second to none. Did you say deep fried burrito???

Next stop - Yellowstone - both really excited!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment